The 2020 MLS football season came to an end at the weekend with Columbus Crew SC emerging as the new kings of MLS football. Columbus Crew beat all-comers in the 2020 edition of the Major League Soccer (MLS) season to win the MLS Cup for only the second time in their history. The first MLS Cup win for Columbus Crew was recorded12 years ago (2008). Columbus Crew beat previous holders Seattle Sounders 3-0 in the MLS Cup final to secure their position as the new kings of MLS football. Here are some stats from the 2020 season:
- Minnesota United forward Kevin Molino scored the most goals in the MLS playoffs this year. He found the back of the net four times as his team lost to Seattle Sounders in the Western Conference final. Minnesota United took a two-goal lead into the final minutes of the game played in Seattle only for the home team to score three goals in the last 15 minutes to win the final 3-2 and qualify for the MLS Cup final.
- Philadephia Union had the best record in the 2020 MLS football regular season with 47 points from 23 games for a points-per-game (PPG) of 2.04.
- Seattle Sounders have featured in the MLS Cup final in four of the last five seasons. They won it for the first time in their history in 2016 before adding a second MLS Cup title last year.
- A total of 50 goals were scored in the MLS playoffs this year. 17 matches were played in total to give an average of 2.94 goals per game.
- Apart from winning the 2020 MLS Cup final by beating Seattle Sounders 3-0 to win the MLS Cup for the second time in their history, Columbus Crew also scored the most goals in the playoffs. Columbus Crew SC scored nine goals in four games.